Loons & Chicks
Photograph loons and their chicks from a custom boat designed specifically for loon photography.Sign Up & Register Now
Thank you for everything you did to make sure we gained the most out of our time with you. My wife and I learned so much more than we expected and your knowledge of loons helped us see them in a new light. Looking forward to our next trip with you!
Additional Info & Sponsors
More workshop info
There is a small window of time every year when loon chicks can be found riding on their parents backs. These unique workshops are designed to make the most of this special time of year.
I am happy to offer this chance to photograph loons and their chicks from a custom designed boat that provides an exceptional shooting platform and plenty of room for each participant. I will be on board to offer guidance and instruction throughout each workshop.
We will arrive at our location early and get on the water for sunrise. This location is home to multiple nesting pairs of loons, giving us a variety of options and the chance to photograph throughout the day.
In addition to loons, there are also red-necked grebes with chicks, white pelicans, yellow-headed blackbirds, nesting colonies of terns, and more. We will be on the water for sunrise and sunset to photograph in the best possible light.
While it is impossible to guarantee that there will be loon chicks, I have scheduled this workshop to coincide with what is historically the best time of the year to photograph this event.
These workshops are guided group shoots with instruction and is limited to 3 participants. The custom boat is designed to give you ultimate access to the birds, maximum maneuverability and the best shooting angles. It is a truly intimate experience that will provide you the best opportunity to come away with great images.
* 4 participants can be accommodated if everyone is in the same group.
June 5-7, 2015 (Full)
June 12-14, 2015 (Full)
June 19-21, 2015 (Full)
- Use of custom boat during workshop
- All guiding and instruction during workshop
- All snacks & drinks while on the boat
- Travel to the photographic site
- All meals during workshop
- Day 1: Photograph on the water from sunrise until lunch. Break for lunch, review of images and instructional discussion. Return to the water after lunch and photograph until sunset.
- Day 2: Repeat of previous day.
- Day 3: Photograph on the water from sunrise until around 2 pm.
*An informational PDF will be provided upon sign up with details regarding locations, recommended equipment, lodging recommendations, etc.